Our Councilors have reported from San Diego, where the 251st ACS National Meeting is wrapping up today. As usual, they have provided “Councilor Talking Points,” a document that summarizes the actions of various Council committees and Council at large. Lol Barton was quickest on the [Attach] and [Send] tool buttons this meeting. Thanks, Lol.
Picking out some that might be of general interest:
- Peter K Dorhout and Thomas R Gilbert were nominated for 2017 President-Elect. They, along with any candidates qualifying via petition, will be on the national ACS ballot in October. If you know of someone (including yourself) who you believe is qualified for ACS national office, you are urged to contact one of our Councilors.
- Baseline membership dues will be $166 next year, applying the full inflation adjustment permitted in the ACS Bylaws.
- At the close of 2015, there were almost 157,000 members of the American Chemical Society, incuding 25,000 who joined in 2015. The total is down 0.96% from the same date in 2014.
- Total registration at the San Diego national meeting was 16,327.
- In addition to its executive session, the Board of Directors had an open session with a guest speaker. New York Times reporter Amy Harmon delivered “Telling Science Stories: Dispatch from the Conflict Zone,” addressing social implications of science and technology.