We are pleased to announce a new award program sponsored by the Minority Affairs subcommittee of the Saint Louis Section–ACS: travel expense support for undergraduate students’ travel to regional or national ACS meetings.
Cynthia Chapple, Chair of the Minority Affairs subcommittee says it all:
This is a chance for minority students to build networks within chemistry, understand ACS’s agenda related to diversity, and/or present their undergraduate research. Students applying for the award will be required to attend at least one event at the regional or national meeting sponsored or cosponsored by the Committee on Minority Affairs (CMA).
The award helps cover costs including registration, travel, and accommodations, as well as poster printing if the student’s institution does not have printing facilities. The student will be responsible for upfront payment; awardees will be reimbursed up to $500 upon submission of receipts to the Minority Affairs Chair. Up to three awards will be made each year.
The application should include
- Two letters of recommendation for the student
- Abstract on research being presented (if applicable)
- Copy of transcript with coursework/grades (does not need to be official)
- Letter from the student describing their career goals and reasons for wanting to attend an ACS meeting, and if presenting research indicating which session of the meeting they intend to present at (no more than two pages in length)
- Description from the Department of the financial support that they have committed to the student for travel (if any).
The application deadline is August 15th for travel to the 2018 Midwest Regional Meeting 2018, October 21-23 in Ames, IA. You can begin the electronic application process here.