April 16th was the 2012 Awards Night Maggiano’s Little Italy in Brentwood. The evening honored our region’s Outstanding College Juniors and winners of the High School Chemistry Contest. There were 98 people in attendance, including the award winners, professors and mentors, parents, and ACS members.
Dr Steven Hannah, Director of Molecular Nutrition in the Nestlé Research Center in St Louis, was the keynote speaker. His talk, on developing nutrition for pets, also related how his career integrates with his love for animals.
Then Michael Hauser presented the Outstanding College Junior Chemistry Student Awards to:
- Liliana I Castillo, Greenville College
- Zach Engel, Southern Illinois University–Edwardsville
- Graham Hudson, Saint Louis University
- Joey L Jackson, Lindenwood University
- Daniel LaMaster, McKendree University
- Erin T Martin, University of Missouri–St Louis
- Ramya Natarajan, Maryville University
- Calvin O Nyapete, Principia College
- Lindsey Steinberg, Washington University
and the Outstanding Chemical Technology Student Award to:
- Jordan W Aach, SLCC–Florissant Valley
The winners of the High School Chemistry Contest were presented by Myron Reese of McKendree College with help from Eric Bruton. Award certificates and checks were presented to the 1st through 5th place winners in both the regular and advanced divisions, and to students in each division receiving an honorable mention. Five of the students qualified to take the Chemistry Olympiad qualifying test at University of Missouri–St Louis. You can see all the winners,their places, and their mentors on the Awards page, here.