The Minority Affairs subcommittee of the Saint Louis Section–ACS sponsors the Minority Undergraduate Travel Awards: travel expense support for undergraduate students’ travel a regional or national ACS meeting.
This is an opportunity for minority students to build networks within chemistry, understand ACS’s agenda related to diversity, and/or present their undergraduate research. Students applying for the award will be required to attend at least one event at the regional or national meeting sponsored or co-sponsored by the Committee on Minority Affairs (CMA).
The award helps cover costs including registration, travel, and accommodations, as well as poster printing if the student’s institution does not have printing facilities. The student will be responsible for upfront payment; awardees will be reimbursed up to $500 upon submission of receipts to the Minority Affairs Chair. Up to three awards will be made each year.
The application should include
- Two letters of recommendation for the student
- Abstract on research being presented (if applicable)
- Copy of transcript with coursework/grades (does not need to be official)
- Letter from the student describing their career goals and reasons for wanting to attend an ACS meeting, and—if presenting research—indicating which session of the meeting they intend to present at (no more than two pages in length)
- Description from their academic department of the financial support that they have committed to the student for travel (if any).
The application deadline is two months before the opening of the meeting. For reference, Midwest Regional Meetings are normally the second half of October; national ACS meetings usually fall in late March to early April and late August to early September. You can get your application started in just a couple of minutes by by filling out this form, but don’t forget to follow up with the additional required documentation.