Our national ACS Councilors are back from their mostly virtual Council meeting, which was held during the hybrid national meeting in Atlanta August 22nd-26th.
As is our wont, we present here a digest of those Talking Points that Councilors bear back to their Section membership: but only the bestest, interestingest Talking Points. For the full deal, you can see the entire document here.
- Donna Friedman, who is probably our longest-serving Councilor (please don’t make me look it up), was elected to the Council Policy Committee. Donna was the top vote-getter among eight candidates for four seats on the Committee. Congratulations, Donna! (we guess?)
- A new version, the 10th, of the Professional Employment Guidelines was approved by the Committee on Economic and Professional Affairs, with the concurrence of the Council Policy Committee.
- President Cheng introduced and led a special discussion on ideas to increase involvement and membership from business and industry, two sectors that have experienced disproportionate shrinkage over the last five years. There have been ongoing efforts to decrease the cost-related attrition while increasing member value.
- Budget and Finance Committee reported a mid-year net surplus $55.0 million, so it seems there might be room to address that aforementioned cost-related membership attrition.
- Meetings and Expositions Committee reported on registration for the national meeting in progress at the time: as of August 25th, there were 8,205 registrations (1,895 hybrid and 6,310 virtual). Of the approximately 1,200 oral sessions held, 71 were only in-person, 244 were hybrid, and 855 were held virtually.
And that’s all, folks!